Today we are going to talk about proxies.
You care about your security? You want to speed up your downloads? Your company has a proxy and you cant connect to some websites? or maybe you just want to learn.
If you feel identified by some of those questions then you must read this guide.
¿What is a proxy server?
A proxy server is a kind of buffer between your computer and the Internet resources you are accessing. The data you request come to the proxy first, and only then it transmits the data to you.
What is an anonymous proxy server?
Anonymous proxy servers hide your IP address and thereby prevent your from unauthorized access to your computer through the Internet. They do not provide anyone with your IP address and effectively hide any information about you and your reading interests. Besides that, they don't even let anyone know that you are surfing through a proxy server. Anonymous proxy servers can be used for all kinds of Web-services, such as Web-Mail (MSN Hot Mail, Yahoo mail), web-chat rooms, FTP archives, etc.
Why should I use proxy servers?
1) Transfer speed improvement. Proxy servers accumulate and save files that are most often requested by thousands of Internet users in a special database, called 'cache'. Therefore, proxy servers are able to increase the speed of your connection to the Internet. The cache of a proxy server may already contain information you need by the time of your request, making it possible for the proxy to deliver it immediately.
2) Security and privacy. Anonymous proxy servers that hide your IP address thereby saving you from vulnerabilities concerned with it.
3) Sometimes you may encounter problems while accessing to web server when server administrator restricted access from your IP or even from wide IP range (for example restricting access from certain countries or geographical regions). So you try to access those pages using an anonymous proxy server.
What types of public proxy server exist?
1) Transparent - HTTP proxy server reveals all. Usable only for transfer speed improvement.
2) Anonymous - HTTP proxy server doesn't send any variables with your real IP to host, but it sends variables indicating that you are using proxy.
3) High Anonymity - HTTP proxy server doesn't send ANY variables indicating that you are using proxy server to host.
Is it legal to surf through open proxies?
As far as i can tell, the answer is yes. The primary argument against open proxies is that their owners may not have intended for them to be used by the public. However, by running a service on a machine accessible to the public, without restricting access to that service, the machine's administrator is implicitly consenting for that service to be used by the public. A proxy server is just like a web server, an FTP server, or any other net service: if it's running and accepting connections, it's fair game. The internet is a public network
Are there dangerous proxies?
First, there are servers of government organisations (FBI, CIA, NASA etc.) and organizations working close with federal/state and corporate law enforcement.
Second, there are hackers.
And don't believe those proxy checkers (even pay ones) telling you "we filter all dangerous proxies". It's impossible. Nobody can tell you if that proxy you are using is monitored or not.
Where do i get a proxy?
There are many ways of getting them, fastest way is to Google for "proxy list", you will find some updated daily proxy lists. There are programs out there too that do the job, you only need to investigate a bit.